Saturday, April 28, 2007

1 mile fast

To make up for the run I missed earlier this week I had to run 1 mile fast tonight. I ran easy for about 5 minutes to warm up then I stretched and ran a few strides. I started my mile way too fast and I paid for it later. I ran down the block a half mile then turned around and ran back. The nice thing about that first half mile is that the last block or two are downhill. I got to the halfway point in 3.01, my plan was to run a 7 to 7.15 mile, see way too fast. The horrible part of the second half mile, after running too fast for the first half it that the first block or two are uphill. I hurt on the way back but I kept pushing and I even found a little something so I could pick it up a bit at toward the end. My finishing time was 6.48. I only ran .97 miles, but that's close enough for me. (Ok fine, it's not but I'll do better next time).

One goal that I have in the long run is to complete the second half of my runs faster than the first half. I think that will help me finish strong when I race. However, I knew that wasn't going to happen tonight, not after going out in 3 minutes. I forgot to grab Amy's iPod before I left but instead of running back up to the apartment to get it I decided to run without it tonight. When I hurt during a run I really miss having the music to push me. This blog helped though, when I was thinking about slowing down I knew I would have to write about that after I got back. I didn't want to let all of my faithful readers down so I kept pushing. (Shhhh, I know that I don't really have any faithful readers, but if I say it out loud maybe I'll actually realize it).

Well I think I'll take tomorrow off and finish this week one run short. Oh yeah, looking at the plan I made for when I am going to do I runs I think I need to revise it. I had planned on running on Tuesdays and Wednesdays then taking Thursday and Friday off, before running again on Saturday and Sunday. That doesn't make any sense so I'll run Tuesday and Thursday, take Friday off then run Saturday and Sunday. I'm sure I'll have to adjust that from week to week depending on what's going on but that's my plan for now.

No comments: