Sunday, April 29, 2007

Running, Stretching and Yoga

Run 1 of week two of my training schedule is to run 1.5 miles. I really wanted to run more than that, 1.5 miles doesn't seem like enough. But I'm sure that who ever came up with that plan did it for a reason. I really don't want to push myself to hard and get burnt out or hurt myself so I just did what I was told.

I ran down to the corner and back again trying to pace myself at 9 minute miles. I thought I started off at about the right pace and I even slowed down a bit to make sure I wasn't running too fast. I got to the corner (.75 miles) in just 6 minutes. Too fast again, it should have been more like 6.45. On the way there I stopped and gave Amy the key to the apartment because she was on her way back from her run and probably didn't want to wait outside for 15 minutes for me to get back. Anyway, I ran back in 6.45 which was about right the pace, I'll just have to try and remember how that felt for next time. My total time was 12.45, about 45 seconds faster than it should have been. I'll keep working on it though.

Since I'm almost as flexible as a 2x4 I decided I'd work on that a little bit. I found this stretch routine on the Cool Running website. I went though it after I got back and I'm going to try and do it before and after my runs. I also wanted to work my abs a little bit tonight. We have an Abs Yoga with Rodney Yee DVD that I think is pretty good. I got through about half of it before I just couldn't do anymore, it's pretty tough stuff. The DVD title says it is for beginners but I have a very hard time beliving that, but maybe that's just because I'm trying to make myself feel better for not being able to do it.

I also have a problem with some of the poses. I'm a pretty tall guy, about 6'5". A couple of the poses that he shows I can't exactly do. Not because of the whole flexible as a board thing, but because our apartment is just too small. There is no place I can go to be able to extend my legs in front of me most of the time and then once in a while extend them out to the side. We could probably make it work if we got rid of our bed, but I don't think Amy would go for that.

Tomorrow is a rest day so I'll probably try and do some strength building exercises I found and maybe I'll try out the Elliptical thing in the clubhouse for a little while.

No comments: