Saturday, June 9, 2007

Race Results: Havelock Charity Run

This morning was the Havelock Charity Run in Lincoln. We ran the 3k version. This event had the extra feature of running as part of a team to earn money for a charity. The way that the charity piece works is that Pinnacle Bank donates $50 to your selected charity. Then if your team beats their team (who is always pretty slow) then they will donate an additional $25, for a grand total of $75. The Charity we chose to run for is the Matt Talbot Kitchen. Their mission is "to serve the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of Lincoln's working poor, and homeless through outreach, advocacy, education and the provision of food and shelter.

Amy's brother puts our team together and had enough people this year for two teams. One of the guys that ran with us was our former high school track and cross country coach. It was nice I'm happy to say that both teams beat the Pinnacle Bank team. The team I was on got second and the other team got 5th. We had all men though and they had two girls, they were the second coed team.

This course is pretty much flat, there was one hill but it wasn't very steep at all. My goal for this race was 13 minutes. I really wanted to make my goal 12, but I didn't think I could pull that off and wanted to keep things realistic. My watch time was 12:03 and I'm pretty sure my chip time will be about the same. So I made my goal of 13 but I'm upset that I didn't run just a little faster and break that 12 minute mark. I'm pretty sure I could have but I didn't know the course and I thought there was another turn before the finish line so I held back a little bit until I realized that I was wrong. I'll need to make sure I get a map of the course sooner and study it better next time.

Amy had a good race too, she ran a 16:37 which is quite an improvement over her two mile time of 19:55 from April 21st.

Next up is a 5k for the Kearney Community Olympics on the 23rd. According to the McMillian Running Calculator my 12:03 translates to a 21:01. So I'm making my goal 21 minutes, but I have a secret goal of breaking 20 minutes.

No comments: