Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sleep Issues

I don't sleep normal (that may be a bit of an understatement). I'll run through a typical day for me quick. I get up about 7:30 A.M. (after hitting snooze for about 20 minutes) hop in the shower and get to work a little after 8. I come home for lunch and take a little nap for about 20 minutes and head back to work. Then after work I usually end up taking another "nap" for a 2-3 hours. Then I'm usually up until 3 or 4 before I go to sleep for 3-4 more hours and start the cycle all over again.

When people hear that the first thing they say is well don't take a nap then you won't be up until 3 or 4. That sounds great in theory but it always seems that no matter how much sleep I get the night before I get tired in the afternoon. So I force myself to stay awake and am pretty much just a zombie the whole evening. Then 10 or 11 rolls around and I catch a second wind or something and I wake up. I try to go to bed but I just toss and turn and after an hour or so of that I get up until 3 or 4 again. So then I missed out on a few hours of sleep after work but I still didn't get anything done because I was too tired to focus. This is how I've been since at least my sophomore year of high school.

If I weren't married I don't think I'd have a problem with my sleep pattern at all. Really I kind of like it, it's like I have twice as many days as everyone else. The problem is that the only time Amy and I are both awake is when we are at work. Since we don't work together we don't spend too much quality time together. I doubt that sleeping this way is the best plan for productivity at work or recovering after runs either. So I'm on a quest to fix it.

Here is an article on LifeHack.org that pretty much describes how I sleep exactly and has a solution on how to fix it. Sit in front of a light for 30 minutes every morning. Even though that sounds like loads of fun I'm not sure I want to drop $300 to do so. I'll explore some other options first. In fact that's part of the reason I haven't been posting much the last few days. I've been going to sleep early, around 1 in the morning (well, early for me) and haven't had naps in the evening. So far it seems to be going pretty good.

If anyone else has/had similar sleep issues how do you deal with it or how did you over come it?

No comments: