Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Kearney Community Olympics

If you are looking for the 2009 schedule click here.

I finally have all the info on 2007 Kearney Community Olympics. There are a ton of events (ok, I know 18 isn't really a ton), I've listed all of them at the end of this post. Things get going Friday night at 5:30 and there is a barbecue and awards ceremony Sunday evening starting at 5:15. We compete as a team and get points for each event we compete in and then some events give extra points depending on how you place. I'm signed up for six events, Qi Qong, coed doubles Pickleball, the 5k run, free throw contest, softball and disc golf. I have no idea how to play most of the games but we got a packet that explains all the rules for each event (I have some studying to do) and the ones I do know have different rules. Softball for example, you pitch to your own team and the batter only gets two legal pitches. So that will definitely speed up the games.

The 5k is normal though. There wasn't a map included with anything though so I did some investigating on my own. A Google search found that one of the items agenda items for a 2005 city council meeting was to approve blocking off some roads for the Good Sam 5k (which is the race in the Community Olympics). That info lead me to the minutes for a meeting from this year with the same agenda item. The course they laid out doesn't make complete sense though (go west to get to a road that is actually east?). I made some assumptions as to what I thought they meant and came up with the course below (if the map doesn't show up right you can click here). I'm planning on driving along it later this week to get an idea what it's going to be like. It looks like it's a little downhill for the first mile and a little uphill for the last one but a very gradual incline.

I'm not sure how much of this Amy is going to be able to do though, she has shin splints pretty bad. It would be a shame if she wasn't able to play pickleball with me, then I'd have to go to the Deaf Peds concert instead. I'm just kidding I'd rather her be healthy then go to a show, I'm a nice guy like that. I think this community Olympics idea is a really good one and should be a lot of fun. I'll let you know next week how everything went.





Here are the events:






Qi QongTennisPickleball
Tug-of-WarObstacle Course5k Run/Walk
Inner-tube Water PoloHorseshoesBowling
SoftballVolleyballFree-Throw Shooting
Mountain BikingDisc GolfIron Chef
Soccer Shoot-OutDancing Like a StarKayaking

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Here is the schedule for the 2009 Olympics.

Here is some basic info, pretty much just rules and events.