Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Running Plan

I found a running plan that I think will work for me and I started it tonight. I'm not training for anything in particular right now, I'm just running. (It's hard to type a Forest Gump accent). The plan I'm going to follow is the intermediate plan from runninginjuryfree.org.

There are a couple things that I like about it. First off it will get me to a weekly mileage base of 24 miles. Which is a good place to be if I ever decide to train for a half or a full marathon. Second it gets me there slowly, which is probably the best way to avoid getting hurt doing it. I know I said a couple things but I'm going to through in a third as a bonus. It is pretty even mileage throughout the week. Meaning I'm not going to have three or four 3 mile runs during the week then a 10 mile long run on the weekend to get my mileage in. This is one of the thing that the guys at the Hansons-Brooks distance project talk about. I can't find the actual article right now but I know I read it on there someplace.

I'm not quite at the starting point for the plan yet though. So I added a few weeks in front of it to build up to it slowly. I put everything together on a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of how far I should be running and when. I'll probably keep some notes on there as to how well I followed the plan each week. Feel free to check it out here if you'd like.

No comments: