Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ultimate Frisbee

We had so much fun playing Ultimate Frisbee in the community olympics that we put our names down to play in pick-up games and stuff. Well tonight we got together for the first time and played a couple of games. I guess to start things off I should talk a little bit about what the game is just in case you don't know.

Basically you run all over the field throwing the frisbee to your teamates trying to get into the endzone. After catching the frisbee you can't run or anything like that, you just have to pass it on. If your team doesn't complete a pass then the other team gets to be on offense. So the pace of the game is similar to basketball. If you want to know all the rules and everything check out Wikipedia or the Ultimate Players Association website.

There were 8 of us that played tonight, 4 girls and 4 boys so it worked out pretty well. It is fun to get out of the house and meet some other people, we don't do that too often. Amy and I were far from the best out there, but since this is only the second time we've played I'll cut us a little slack. We need to work a little bit (or maybe a ton) on catching the frisbee. The other guys that were out there are (or were) cross country runners from UNK and the intermal champs so they could run all over and knew what they were doing. Me and Amy, however, got tired as hell after not too long and dropped a lot of passes that we shouldn't have. We had a great time though.

Every once in awhile I'll play some basketball, but I usually don't run up and down the court except for once a year at our alumni tournament. Amy always makes fun of me because I am like completely dead about 3 minutes into the game. After we played tonight she said she never really played a sport like basketball or soccer where you have to stop and go and change direction and all that fun stuff and pretty much just run your ass off. But now she knows what its like and I don't think she'll give me too hard of a time when I'm dead five minutes into the first game at next years alumni tournament.

I really have no idea where I'm going with this post. I really just wanted to say it is a ton of fun and if you can get a group of people together to play go for it, you won't be disappointed. If you are in the Kearney area feel free to join us. You can just show up next Thursday, July 17th, at Baldwin park at 7:00.

No comments: