Tuesday, May 22, 2007

1st Easy Run with my HRM

On schedule for tonight was a 1.5 mile easy run. After getting my heart rate monitor and trying to find my max heart rate yesterday I was anxious to see how an easy run would go. For easy runs I'm supposed to keep my heart rate under 70% of my working hear rate which comes out to 144 beats per minute. It was raining out tonight and the Spurs game was on so I ran in the clubhouse on the treadmill.

In the past I've been doing my easy runs at about a 9 min/mile pace, 6.6 mph, and that has felt really easy to me. So that's what I started out with tonight. After running for a couple minutes my watch was beeping at me for going too hard. So I slowed the pace down to 6 mph and rate at that speed for a few more minutes before my watch started beeping at me again. So I slowed down even more. After running about a mile I finally just stopped to let my heart rate go down for awhile because I had dropped the pace down to about 4.5 mph, and I can walk that fast if I try a tiny bit. After the rest I ran the last half mile at about 4.8 mph, but I still pushing 70%. I don't even feel like I ran at all tonight, but I suppose that might be the point.

Tonight's run makes me feel even more certain I didn't get up to my max heart rate last night. If I would have used the highest number from the formulas I only would have had an extra 7 beats per minute to work with. I'm thinking about running an extra 1.5 this week at that pace just to see how it feels. I don't think it will hurt anything to stray from my program by adding an extra easy run. What do you think? Will it hurt anything if I add in an extra 1.5 miles this week? Should I go with the max heart rate from one of the formulas or the use the max I calculated?

1 comment:

MommyMacky said...

it'll never hurt to add a little more, but just dont stop running!! I would base your max on the formulas. At least U]until you can beat what you actually had your max be. IDK thats just me.