Thursday, May 31, 2007

Giving up on Low HR Training (for now)

I ran two miles tonight with my HRM and a goal to keep my heart rate under 149 again. I was getting pretty high readings right away again, but I made sure the sensors where wet and then everything seemed to be fine. I really struggled to keep my heart rate down though. It's so hard for me to run 11.30 miles. A couple of times I had to walk to get my heart rate down to where it should be. The thing is I'm pretty sure I actually sped up once I started walking. So I'm going to stop worrying about my heart rate until after my next two races (3k on 6/9 and a 5k on 6/24). I'll be sure to do my easy runs easy but I'll at least feel like I ran once I'm done.

I'm not giving up on low heart rate training all together though, just until I'm done with my races. I really like everything that I've read about it and feel like it is the right way to do things. So after the races I'll watch my heart rate again as I work on building my aerobic base (more on that very soon).

No comments: