Sunday, May 6, 2007

My First Fartlek

Sorry I didn't post yesterday like I said I would, I'm lazy. I did run my first fartlek ever though. Here is a what About.com has to say about fartleks.

"Q. What is a fartlek? A. Fartlek (which means “speedplay” in Swedish) is a speed training method, in which the speed and intensity varies throughout the run at unplanned intervals. For this program, a 2 mi fartlek would be run by starting out at your normal pace and then speeding up and slowing down at random times throughout the 2 miles. For instance, run to the 1st stop sign and then sprint to the 3rd lamp pole, etc."

My run didn't go too good for me though. I think I ran the hard parts too hard because during the second half the slow parts were way too slow (I might have walked a bit). But I feel I learned a little so maybe it will go better next time. My final time was 16.23 for the two miles.

I ran a nice and easy 1.5 miles tonight, just out to the corner and back. I even managed to hold myself back to about the pace I was supposed to. I ran to the corner in 6.48 and then back in 6.35 for a final time of 13.24. Since my easy runs are supposed to be at 9 minute mile pace I was pretty much right on.

In case you were wondering I still don't feel any better about the concert being canceled. I read in the forums that is was canceled for one of two reasons. 1. Not enough ticket sales or 2. Problems getting a permit. I find the second reason very unlikely since it was being put on by a big radio station down there and it was supposed to be their 150th Anniversary concert. Also the concert was supposed to be at the City Market, which is owned by the city. The city gives out the permits, so that would mean they wouldn't give themselves a permit. Anyway I don't really care why it was canceled, I'm just disappointed that it was.

No comments: