Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Whartons Performance

Tonight I went down to the track with Amy and ran a mile fast. I was a little bit surprised that she wanted to run tonight. Yesterday she was saying that she thinks she is getting shin splints. They didn't seem to bother her too much tonight so maybe she's fine, something to keep an eye on though.

Like Friday night I was shooting for a 7 minute mile. You'd think I learn, I keep going out way too fast. Here are my quarter mile splits, 1.27, 1.42, 1.50 and 1.34, for a grand total of 6.34. After the first split I held my self back to about where I was supposed to be for the 1000m. Something about being on a track and rounding that last turn though, I couldn't hold myself back any more and I pushed hard for the last 200. I really miss that runner's high I'd get after pushing myself to the limit. Hopefully I can get to a point where I get that high after a road race.

I found this article, A new Training Model, on RunnersWorld.com. It goes through a series of exercises that are intended to build flexibility and strength in order to improve performance and prevent injuries. These are both very important things to me, if I do something I want to be good at it. That's probably the reason I don't do a whole lot, I like to refer to myself as a procrastinating perfectionist (not a good combination). I went through all of the exercises in the article and I enjoyed them. I'll be definitely be looking into The Wharton Performance Plan more.

Tomorrow is an off day so I'll go down to the clubhouse and watch the Spurs finish off the Nuggets. I'll try and talk Amy into heading down with me and showing me how to use the elliptical machine correctly too.

No comments: