Friday, May 11, 2007

Softball and 2.5 miles

Sorry I didn't post last night my internet connection was down. Last night I had a softball game with a team from Amy's work. I'm not really a big fan of softball, mostly because I'm not any good at a couple minor aspects of the game (catching, throwing and batting). It's fun to just hang out with people though. Our game wasn't scheduled to start until 9:30 but the games before it ran long so we didn't get going until after 10. They had a couple of innings where they scored quite a few runs and the mercy rule came into effect so we didn't play the seven full innings that were scheduled.

We got home a little before 11 and I still needed to run, but I didn't really feel like it. I have a rule for myself that I can't take two days off in a row, so I made myself go out for 2.5 miles at my easy pace of 9 minute miles. It was a beautiful night out, not a cloud in the sky and the stars were bright (I think the moon took the night off though because I couldn't find it and it usually tends to stand out). I decided to mix things up and ran the loop backward. It's a good thing I've ran that route so many times because it was really dark out. I'm going to have to get a headlamp or something so I don't hurt myself. Another thing about running when it's so dark out is that headlights on cars are really bright. There were a couple times when I had to slow down because a car drove by and blinded me a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid that from happening I would love to hear them.

I took my splits kind of weird. Since I usually run the course the other way I know where the mile markers are, but I'm not so sure about backward. So I took my splits at the .5, 1.5 and 2.5 mile marks. My splits were 4.29, 9.06 and 8.45 for a grand total of 22.22. So I was right on pace for a change. Despite the fact that it was an easy run it was a tough one to get through. My messed up sleeping schedule had been extremely bad all week so I'm sure that was part of it.

I'm headed to Lincoln this weekend so I'll have to find a couple routes there to run. I have a 2 mile fartlek tomorrow and an easy 1.5 miles on Sunday. I still owe you guys my analysis of the log sites and I promise to get that done sometime.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion on how to solve your "deer in the headlights" problem. Try running when it's still light out!!

Brandon said...

Now if I did that I couldn't call myself the midnight runner now could I? ;)