Saturday, May 12, 2007

Why I Run

There are a lot of different reasons that I run. Every once in awhile I'll post about one of them.

I'm a very laid back person, I just go with the flow. If you graph my emotions throughout a day it would pretty much be a flat line. It's not so much that I hide my emotions as it is that I don't have any to show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a robot. From time to time I do have emotions and I'm not afraid to show them. When my Grandpa died I cried, when I gave a speech at my wedding I got choked up (some might say I cried). When I found out about that I could go to Ireland with Amy and get school credit for it I was ecstatic. When the trip was postponed a year I was disappointed (I'm not real confident it is ever going to happen, but I am very hopeful). Both times I found out my favorite band, The Doors, were going to play close by I was excited, when both shows were canceled I was disappointed and upset. I rant about things with some regularity but they don't really bother me enough for me to do anything about them. To Amy's dismay it's just that I enjoy ranting.

When I run I feel a lot of different things though. Sometimes I'm excited about an upcoming run, sometimes I dread it. When a race is coming up I get excited and full of anticipation. As I'm running I'll feel pain and have to fight through it. If I do fight through it I feel a certain amount of joy and pride. If I let it get the best of me I get frustrated and/or upset. Of course I have to mention the runner's high that one gets after a race knowing they left it all on the course.

I run so I can feel.

I'm not trying to say the pride of breaking through the wall compares one iota to the joy of finding that special someone and marrying them. Or that the disappointment of giving in when it hurts and walking up that hill or skipping a run is even a fraction of a percent of the pain that comes with losing someone you love. But when I run I do feel something, and that keeps me running.

Why do you run?

5 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Brandon!
Well I don't run. But there was a time that I did try to run, and I could say I succeeded in that I finished the race and felt the thrill that runner's feel.
Its good that there are people like you, to balance out the drama of people like me :)
thanks for your posts, we love them.

Annie said...

I asked Thomas, "Hey Thomas, why do you run?" and he looked at me with his little raised eyebrows and goofy grin and said "I don't know!" Then off he ran, giggling, feet stomping, the joy of a 3 year-old.

Greg On the Run said...

You wrote about "the joy of finding that special someone and marring them."

Why would you want to mar someone you love. That's pretty sick!

Brandon said...

I could mar her in hopes that she would be mine forever. Or it might have just been a typo.

I'll go with the second option, it makes me sound a little better. Thanks for pointing it out. I should learn to spell someday.

Anonymous said...

u sure u aren't a robot?